Brisbane’s Howard Smith Wharves Gets Upgraded

After years of debates about how a prime Brisbane city neglected site should be used, the Howard Smith Wharves Revitalisation Project has sprung back to life with the announcement of the developer by Lord Mayor Graham Quirk.

HSW Consortium, led by Adam Flaskas and Elisha Bickle was the developer selected by Cr Quirk to give this site located under the Story Bridge a new lease of life, due to their keen interest to incorporate the existing heritage-listed buildings into the redevelopment.

After being disused for decades, the 3.43 hectare site will only use up 20 per cent of the land as commercial space, whilst the remaining 80 per cent will be turned into beautiful parklands and public space for everyone to enjoy.

The commercial space will include a 150-room five star boutique hotel, surrounded by world-class restaurants, cafes and bars as well as an exhibition space. However, of the 20 per cent commercial space, 10 per cent will consist of new buildings, whilst the remaining 10 per cent will involve the careful preservation of the heritage buildings and wharves.

Cr Quirk commented that, “The project will see these heritage buildings activated to accommodate a vibrant dining, retail and tourism centre, highlighting the area’s historic importance and preserving its rich legacy for future generations.”

The luxury boutique hotel that will be just three storeys high will have a facade in neutral colours and textures to minimise visual impact. Developed and operated by Asian Pacific Group, there will also be a 1,500 square metre exhibition space and an underground car park to fit approximately 350 vehicles.

The Story Bridge will remain the main focal point of the city view with the development blending in with the cliff face, with council already undertaking cliff stabilisation works, including minor repairs to the heritage buildings. A 170 metre long timber wharf has also been constructed under the Story Bridge to keep the area safe and accessible for public use, whilst captivating its history as a working wharf.

HSW Consortium plan to lodge a development application within the next 6 months, with a decision notice expected to be issued from mid 2015. They will then have three years to develop the site.

Once completed, these historic wharves will become a popular, first-class waterfront destination for locals and visitors alike with plenty of recreational opportunities for all.
Published on 26th of May 2015 by Marty Stanowich
Marty Stanowich
Marty Stanowich


Sign up to the iBuyNew newsletter to receive more article and property news straight to your inbox

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Off the plan

Want access to exclusive opportunities in off-the-plan property?

Sign up to our Free VIP membership for a personalised service.

Learn more